Thursday, October 30, 2008

Metson Lake

Saturdays painting with some friends at Metson Lake in Golden Gate Park.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Gouache Studies

I took my class painting on Sunday to observe atmospheric perspective at the Monte Bello space preserve. I was not satisfied with the painting I produced in the afternoon so I stopped at the vista lookout on my way home off the 280 just before the 92 interchange. The view was amazing with the fog catching some warm sunlight as it was rolling over the hills.

Lately as I'm driving around the bay area there has been some stunning light and color in the early mornings or twilight. I wish I could just stop wherever I am and start painting, but obviously that would be dangerous in the middle of the freeway. So these two little color studies are from memory/invention. I haven't done many of these but they were fun to do.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

JFK Drive

Today's gouache color study in Golden Gate Park, JFK drive & 6th Ave.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mostly Plein Air

Sunday's plein air painting with two friends at lake Merced in SF. Well it's mostly plein air. It was getting late in the day and I couldn't stay out any longer to finish it. So...I took a photo to use as reference to work on it at home. I would say 75% of this color study was done on location mainly the middle and background. The other 25% percent I used a photo to paint in the silhouetted foreground of the branches and tighten up a few other shapes. This is the first time I have use a photo reference to finish a plein air painting. I must admit I feel somewhat guilty to do so.

Friday, October 10, 2008

3 Plein Air Paintings

Plein air paintings during this week. (1)Trees along Middle Drive West in Golden Gate Park. (2) On the beach at a very windy Fort Funston. I had to hold my easel with hand and paint with the other. ( 3) Elk Glen Lake in Golden Gate Park.